Sajini Chandrasekera

this is where I am at

Little gypsy doll

Bookmark and Share

                                     
                                                    Photo credits - Tariq's Photography



I am a 8 year old gypsy girl living on dirty riverside on the outskirts of Lahore, Pakistan. My family belongs to the gypsy colony and we are very poor who don't even have food to fill our little tummies but knowing that my parents can't effort us to give us a proper meal a day, we never complain. We gypsies beg, sing and dance, sell toys and bangles and some as snake charmers. We live in shanties which barely makes a roof above us and and our lives are less fortunate and life is harder. 


I want all Aunts and Uncles, brothers and sisters to read my story to know that this kind of life exist in this part of the world and as you, I also have my fantasies and dreams but I know they are and will be just dreams for me and to all kids who are like me......   

Day by day I use to watch the moon above and dream of lot of things which  I don't have and think why God made us so poor and less fortunate than people who have more. I don't ask for much but little food to fill my tummy, some ragged dolls to play, little frilled frocks to wear and go to school like other children. I know that I should not complain but my little heart want little things which I never had.  When I see little sisters of my age in the city dressed beautifully and wearing pretty shoes and walking with a ice cream in their hands, my little eyes pour with tears and until they fade away to distance I keep watching with a broken heart.  I have only 2 frocks to wear and I wear them till they are dirty and when my mother have time to wash. They are torn every where and no frills to glamour. I love to play with little dolls and teddy bears but my only toy which is so precious to me is a broken  doll which my dad found from a garbage bin in the city. I call her '' Anusha'' and she don't have arms but she is dressed in a pink dress and have little holes which I have covered with little buttons. Other than '' Anusha'' I play with coconut shells and mud which are the little comforts available to us. I love fancy jewelry that girls wear but as I'm unable to have them so I paint my face with charcoal and eyes with black pencil to make me more beautiful. 

There are many days that we don't have proper food and most of times its just a little piece of bread and water or some times when we go to the city to tell the fortune  of the city dwellers we get very little money to buy a bun. Journey to city is very long and tiring but  we have to go when my mother and other gypsy women go to earn some money for our needs. 

It is true that I'm a little girl who don't understand the big world but I understand the little things which is needed in my world and I miss lot of things than other girls. I don't ask for lot , but for little things which would bring a smile to me and make this little heart of mine happy. I am not an ordinary and I am different. I am a little gypsy doll and this is my story.......

posted by Sajini Lakshika Chandrasekera @ 12:33 PM,

2 Comments:

At May 27, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely words

 
At May 27, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Anonymous Kausar Bilal said...

Got fascinated by this unique blogpost of yours. Very impressive representation of people like gypsies. Wish we could make all their dreams come true as they have all human rights intact despite being very poor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Web This Blog

Blog Roll